Sunday, January 27, 2013

Two words: Puppy Bowl

It's no secret that next Sunday, Feb 3rd, is Super Bowl Sunday. And depending what part of the US you reside in, this day will be received with the same amount of fanfare as any of the other major holidays (in some cases, more).

I don't have anything against the Super Bowl or the NFL. I spent some of my formative years in football country, where the high school quarterback was considered a local hero, we were required to learn the high school fight school in music class in 4th grade and junior high gym class mandated a full quarter of playing football so that we could all learn the principles of the game. Hence football should be in my blood, but to the disappointment of so many around me, I really would prefer spending Football Sundays outside, curled up with a good book, or even watching a matinee.

So you can only imagine my excitement when I learned of an alternative activity for Super Bowl Sunday. Last night I was curled up with my latest copy of the New Yorker, when I came upon a brief article titled "Dept. of Cute: Puppies!" Immediately I began reading aloud to Grey, causing him to put down his book and flip open his laptop to investigate. Upon watching the 20 second clip of Marta, we were sold. Seriously, how the hell have we not heard of this!?!?

Next Sunday, while millions of Americans pack the bars or open there homes to watch grown human men strut around in Spandex and toss around a pigs-skin, Grey and I have a date with a bowl of popcorn, some beer/ ginger beer and streaming Animal Planet. In the meantime, Grey has hidden the checkbook and I am forbidden from driving within 20 miles of an animal shelter/rescue organization. Instead, I'm practicing my "OMG he/she is SOOO cute" face.



11 comments:

  1. I'm one of those odd people that love college football, but cant stand professional. It makes me sick how much money players make when they go professional. I will be finding something else to keep me busy.


    BTW, good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year we watched the Puppy Bowl too. Loved it.

    Can you believe that they are canceling church services on my military installation just because of Super Bowl Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I remember hearing about the puppy bowl a few years ago and thinking it sounded adorable! Totally a valid replacement for the super bowl! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The puppy bowl is what I look forward to every year instead of the Super Bowl. I can't wait to watch it and have been on and off watching the live feed of the puppies in the locker room. I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J and I have already made plans to watch the Puppy Bowl. Neither of us is really into football, but we can't resist adorable puppies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watch the puppy Bowl every year! It's way more entertaining for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I watch the Puppy Bowl this year I will end up with a puppy. Chances are if I watch the Super Bowl I won't end up adopting a line backer...even if he is really cute in spandex ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Puppy Bowl!! Of course I also love the SuperBowl, so we watch the game and then flip the channel during halftime to Animal Planet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I had no idea. So stinking cute. DH and I aren't into football at all so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Puppy bowl yay! With kitten half time! So amazing! I'm looking forward to it as a study break (since I think we don't get the superbowl channel on TV and the puppy bowl is online).

    ReplyDelete
  11. The NFL holds no appeal for me whatsoever... and college football is a non-entity here in Canada -- they have to give away tickets to the college championship game, and they still rarely fill the stadium. I do have some affection (nurtured in my youth) for the Canadian Football League, however, specifically the Saskatchewan Roughriders. ; ) I don't watch much during the season, but I never miss Grey Cup (Canada's national football championship), which has a much more storied history than the Super Bowl (just celebrated its 100th), and has become a unifying national event, beyond a mere game.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved