Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 1

Firsts are hard for me. While others see new opportunities/things for their shininess, I worry about how the 15 billion ways I can break them or screw them up. This fear probably explains my attraction to buying used, repairing anything broken well past the expense of just buying new and all things vintage. But it also makes transitions hard too.

Today is my first day at my new position. There's a lot of logistics that need to be worked out (new computers, new systems to learn, hiring to be done, training to plan for and a big meeting at the end of the week with the three professors who will be lecturing), but the scary part isn't the logistics but what this transition actually means.

For as long as I can remember, my goal has been to be a scientist. Throughout graduate school, I refused to give myself the formal title as I saw myself solely as a trainee (even though others around me bravely owned it). After graduation, though I now had three additional letters to add to the end of my name, I still didn't own the title given my delusion that somehow I didn't deserve it. Over the past year, that mindset has changed. Part of it was coming back to the bench and authoring a review with E. But the other part has been actually looking at how science is done. That the title isn't exclusively for those who fit into the ever shrinking field of R1 research professor, especially as many of them aren't actively working at the bench anymore. In a weird way, getting back to the bench not only got me back to my roots, but it also made me realize that the science I'm most passionate about revolves around how we learn about it. And that I do hold the title of scientist and have for a long time.

That's where the scary comes in. Because today, as I close a decade-long chapter as a bench scientist/trainee, I begin one embracing being a science educator; using all my training to apply it to the goal in front of me as it's something I truly believe in. The weight of owning it isn't lost on me.

The thing giving me focus at the moment is an encounter I had the day I began negotiations for this position. Moments following publishing this post, I had an opportunity to observe a teaching session with a group at the medical school who is helping change the way we teach cell biology to high-schoolers. This team is conspired of experienced nurses, many of who have worked in ERs, who were taking a flipped classroom model. Starting with a round table session, where the teens were talking about neuron anatomy, it immediately morphed into a case study where the girls took on the role as medical students/residents who were charged with diagnosing and treating their patient, an interactive manikin named "Holly," who was experience severe chest pains and was acting odd. A few things came out of that case study, mainly the girls being extremely upset that Holly repeatedly lied to them about having used any drugs (cocaine was found in her system after a drug test), but the added element was why Holly was also suffering a heart attack. And that's where the nurses turned everything on it's head again and helped guide the girls back through previous lessons about neural biology and how cocaine impacts that. Before any of us realized it, the girls were 1 1/2 hours into the lesson, all alert and all of them wanting to know more about the biology of addiction and how it impacts our society.

That observation experience has been on my brain ever since. Because that impact, those ah-ha moments, are what I want to see more of. And though this field is new, the potential to have meaningful impact is extremely high.

Today is day 1 of embracing this path. Of taking ownership and being prepared to stand on my own two feet. There are many pitfalls already visible and I worry that I've made a selfish decision to drag Grey and the Beats down this road (I'm extremely lucky to have the support I have from them and so many). The fear that I'll find some new an exotic way to break it all.

Here goes nothing. And everything.

12 comments:

  1. This is big. And scary. And exciting. And risky. And has the potential to pay off in spades with a career that you are passionate about.

    Change is tough. No doubt it will be hard for a while. You are enough.

    I am proud of you for taking this step. The world needs more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! So exciting! And a bit terrifying! I totally understand your anxiety.

    I really hope this is a hugely positive experience for you!!! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing start to a new year...As someone who took a leap and though stayed in patient care, leapt from inpatient to ambulatory care, the first few days/months have been scary. But you sound so enthusiastic. Good for you. Wishing you all the best on this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So exciting! I love that observation experience. That sounds so interesting. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting and terrifying all wrapped up together! It sounds like an interesting opportunity and hoping that it is the one you've been looking for. Sending wishes for the best as you take on this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds intense. It can be very disorienting to try to live with big changes. We are creatures of habit. I admire your courage in taking this big step despite the uncertainty and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on Day 1! That lesson sounds amazing, and I don't doubt that you will create more of those AHA moments rather than breaking everything (but I get that feeling of "what can I ruin now?" even when I haven't actually ruined anything). I wish for you peace and hope for the opportunity before you, and that the fears gradually subside as you get used to the new position and the new computers and gain confidence in this awesome new role.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. It sounds like you are on a good path. And congratulations on embracing the titles, I'm continuously having to remind myself that I am more than a trainee, so I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big congratulations on this new opportunity! Starting fresh is scary, but it sounds like you're ready to make the most of this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so cool!! I hope you'll keep us posted on the things you're working on, because it all sounds pretty fascinating & exciting. :) Congratulations again! I know it's scary to make such a big leap, but I have the feeling you are going to enjoy this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how excited I am for you and for the students who get to have you infuse them with all your curiosity and understanding of science. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very exciting! All the best dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved