Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The other paths

This morning, I opened my campus email account to find messages from students who weren't offered early acceptance letters. Hastily written and doing all the things they tell you not to do, the requests came in for me to write letters of recommendation as they prepared themselves to contact the admissions office to plead their case.

Honestly, I feel for them. These are motivated kids who have spent years constructing applications for something they've been told will either make or break them. The tone of their emails suggested distress was running through their entire family and that the results were indications of failed life goals. It's a hard lesson to learn at age 18.

The timing of all of this hasn't been lost on me. Today both Grey and I have major interviews for potentially solid positions. This morning was spent ironing shirts, polishing shoes and driving each person to their respective locations. Currently I am sitting in a coffee shop, reviewing not only the job ad but also going back through all the course development I've done over the past 6 years. The truth is both Grey and I have a lot riding on today. These positions could advance not only us career wise but also help us stabilize our family in a manner we haven't been able to.

But if I'm also being honest with myself, not getting these positions wouldn't end our lives. Yes it would be tough. Yes, the disappointment would send shock waves through us. But after infertility, pregnancy loss, family loss and being on the verge of traveling down a less traveled path, I know all too well that it wouldn't be the end.

Last night I got a request for references for the editor position, with a note from the hiring manager my reviews have been outstanding. After sending off my reference list, all of that was been pushed to the back of my head so I can focus. But today, as I have a little down time, the truth that has emerged is this could be a really good opportunity. In addition, Grey has a phone conversation tomorrow with a higher-up at a rapidly growing NGS company. Nothing has been promised, but I also know that the potential there is one where it could not only provide us with an exit plan, but also a very interesting road forward. The final tidbit is admitting that neither of us have been happy in Boston. The promise of opportunity and growth has not happened and all the bullshit we've had to deal with really has soured things.

All of this has been swirling in my brain as I've begun drafting responses to these students. Acknowledging their disappointment while reminding them that it's not the end. Even as I deliver a final blow of informing them I'm also unable to write letters of reference to support their petitions. Because often the roads we break ourselves for aren't the ones that bring us fulfillment and happiness. It's the ones that challenge us but also foster us that do, helping us find adventures and moments we might not have imagined possible.

4 comments:

  1. A thousand times yes to your last two lines: "Because often the roads we break ourselves for aren't the ones that bring us fulfillment and happiness. It's the ones that challenge us but also foster us that do, helping us find adventures and moments we might not have imagined possible."

    What a beautiful thing to guide your students through, that disappointment is survivable and can lead you to other opportunities. That ends can be new beginnings, just not the one you thought. I hope for you, too, that these high-stakes days go well, and that you have the chance to gain and savor the stability you seek.

    Sending so much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as you noted, you have survived much worse. And your students will too. It's a hard life lesson for all of us to learn -- but it's one I fear that kids today are not learning (or perhaps even hearing about) as early as we once did. Sending good thoughts your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did yesterday go?

    Here's to resilience. May we all have more of it but not need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it went well yesterday. You're right; if it's not this position, it will be another. That you have slogged through hard stuff and emerged; you know you can do it again. But still, it would be nice to have stuff fall into place. Sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved