Friday, October 2, 2015

Settling

After 3 weeks of being here, there's still much to do. Slowly boxes are being unpacked and items put away. Repairs and logistics are being worked out. And we're settling into a routine.

Still, there are moments where I find myself in disbelief. Things that others take for granted around me leave me in awe. Such as looking for a book I've been meaning to read for many years in a library dedicated to the author. Or seeing this museum display and learning it's mere footsteps away.


I'm struggling with both feeling displaced and not. Part of me is freaking out because I'm not freaking out enough regarding my new environment and those surrounding me. I know the path that brought me here is drastically different from many around me and yet I'm finding I'm also unapologetic for the difference.

A lesson learned from infertility. Of all the struggles from the last few years. Maybe even acceptable of those from a lifetime.

Slowly, I'm settling. Even during the moments it feels unreal.

8 comments:

  1. I think I know that particular display, if I'm right, it's wonderful! People do take a lot for granted, there is just so much to do and see (especially for people who love books and art and museums)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back East! Boston is such an amazing city ... I hope that despite all of the stress that change brings, the move is also empowering. I owe my friends a visit up that way, and I'll hope that at some point I'll see you, too! *hugs* to you all ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually just a lurker, but I saw the photo and had to say hi. The glass flowers are my absolute favorite. They're one of the many reasons I've dreamed of living in Cambridge. Best luck in your new town, and welcome to New England!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure I missed this display when I was chasing D around that museum when we visited it last Fall. It is lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine doing all the work of a big move like that with two littles running around! The fact that you've managed to do anything at all is amazing to me, and I love that you are finding so much to enjoy about your new space already! I'm even a little jealous... there is something so exhilarating, even if so terrifying, about new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I would love to visit Boston. I hope you can enjoy your new city and play "resident tourist." I think so much of settling is a mental thing. Lately I've been feeling a bit alien in my own hometown that I've spend most of the past 36 years in, because so much else in life has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boston is right at the top of my travel wish list. :) I'm sure it will take a while to get settled in, but you are going to have such fun exploring once you have some time to do so...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you and hoping this journey turns out inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved