Monday, May 29, 2017

#MicroblogMondays: Moment of silence

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

Today is Memorial Day. A national holiday that for many Americans has lost it's meaning. As a child, I remember taking a stroll through the cemeteries and seeing veterans from my grandfathers' generation handing out poppies. I remember seeing the flags, the service men and women dressed in their military best. And I remember the tears for those who gave their lives fighting for this country.

Though due to inclusivity, I'm no longer making announcements about veterans in my classrooms. But it doesn't mean I won't do so on my personal time. 

For all those grieving the loss of someone who gave their life in service, I'm so sorry. But I also am honoring your loved one for their sacrifice. For your sacrifice. Giving a moment of silence

3 comments:

  1. I remember the poppies, too! I am fortunate to have many veterans in my family, but none who gave their lives in service. I love this message. A moment of silence is such a powerful, yet simple gesture of respect and honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter marched in a parade with her Daisy troop this year, and I felt sort of conflicted about it for that reason ... did they really understand? But we stopped at the end, and there was a service honoring lost loved ones, and we talked about who was standing there, and why. Since then, I've been thinking about the other kind of public servants, too, the ones who never enlisted, but lost their lives standing up to protect the Muslim woman on the train, and in countless other places. And I don't know if it's appropriate to honor them, too, on Memorial day, but I hope we might, because in many ways they've also sacrificed themselves for the values we hold dear as a nation. Thank you for helping us to find a space for silence and remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an important reminder about what the day is about: the sacrifice of our military service members and their families. I took a moment, thanks to your prompt.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved