Friday, January 2, 2015

Sock exchange revival

I've been waffling on this post for a little while. Partly because I've been so busy and finding time for something like this is daunting. That and the fact that Grey is likely to kill me once he finds out. But, in light of the recent news from Jay (and the fact that I've managed to polish off half a bottle of Chandon all by myself), I'm feeling festive. That and I need a good excuse to pick up the needles again.

Brief history on the socks: the idea is not mine. I found this idea while in the thick of infertility and was immediately inspired because it was something that I could do to spread support to those in the trenches. The thing is, I learned very quickly that support should never be limited to those undergoing fertility treatments. Support needs to be extended to all members of this community, be it that they are newly diagnosed, preparing for treatment, resolved after infertility and everywhere in between.

So, in honor of 2015 and all the promise of a new year, I'm hosting another sock exchange. With a twist. I will be participating in this exchange and my recipient will receive a pair of knitted socks from yours truly. Specifically this pattern titled Butterfly Garden.

For those participating, socks don't need to be handmade. Please remember I'm a crazy knitter who uses knitting as a form of therapy. If this isn't your cup of tea, please don't feel like you can not participate as I can easily recommend websites to buy socks from, such as here and here.  All that matters is that you pick out a pair for a fellow ALIers and send them to them.  

In addition, for anyone who is dying for these socks and wants motivation to knit them (or crochet, I don't discriminate), please find me on Ravelry (search for Phytoknitter). I'm also making this a knit-along. Doesn't matter if you are experienced or have decided to pick up the needles for the very first time. Will make it happen.

Here are the rules:
1) Leave a comment below to let me know if your interested. This exchange is open to anyone who has been touched by infertiliy/miscarriage/infant loss, be it you're currently in treatment, preparing for treatment, recently diagnosed, pregnant after IF/loss, parenting after adoption/IF/loss, pursing adoption, or are living your life to the fullest after infertility/loss. 

2) Once you've received your recipient's names, please contact them within 24 hrs. Recipients, please response within 24 hrs too. This is incredibly important so that everyone has all the necessary information. For those who will be difficult to contact, please leave an additional comment with your contact information. I will not publish it, but it will help with making the connections.

3) Socks do NOT need to be handmade. Again, when I originally started doing this, I did it because I'm a crazy knitter who in addition to wanting to give something that was handmade also uses knitting as a form of therapy. Please do not feel that you need to learn to knit, crotchet or sew in order to participate. And there are some amazing sock stores out there.

4) If you can no longer participate in the exchange, please contact me immediately. Yes, life happens and unseen circumstances can require you to focus your energy elsewhere. (Trust me, I get it.) But please don't leave your recipient hanging. I'm more than happy to reassign, as long as I'm aware that you can no longer participate.

Deadline for participation is Monday January 7th. I'll post a reminder as the deadline comes closer.


7 comments:

  1. I'd love to partipicate! I did one of these when I was in the thick of our IF treatment and the friendships as a result have have amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bite. I like socks. Not a knitter but there is a local sock store...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure I'm in. I still have a wonderful collection from all the exchanges during my years of treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're reviving this, Cristy. My socks from the exchange brought me so much comfort when cycling!!! I'm in

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to participate! I can't knit, but I love the challenge of finding some cute socks for a deserving lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I am not too late...if not, I'd love to particapte!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved