Monday, November 23, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Small moments

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

In the fluster and buster of the week, I hit a point where I craved a moment of familiar. So over the weekend, I found myself flipping through treasured cookbooks and recipes. And my imagination ran wild with the possibilities of losing myself in creating things from dough.

It was immediately settled for Sunday afternoon that I would teach the Beats to make chocolate chip cookies. As they watched the Kitchen Aid spin while flour was added to the egg, sugar and butter mixture, their attention was glued for what was happening in front of them. They lost interest when it came time to use the oven (partly due to me locking them out so to prevent anyone being burned), but quickly regained interest upon getting their first taste of what was created.

It's funny how with all the craziness in the world, caused by large events that seem completely out of our control, it's the small moments that can ground you. That simply taking a moment to so something so simple as mixing cookie dough and sharing the end product can instill a sense of calm and a promise for a better tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this! I found myself thinking similar things when I made cookies with my kids last week. Or tried to. One was afraid of our mixer and the other didn't like getting his hands dirty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to do things like that with Q. It really is the littlest things that make us the happiest. Glad you had a tasty weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a true observation! I'll have to try to focus on the small moments more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. So much comfort in the simple act of teaching the Beats to make yummy magic with flour, eggs, sugar, and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the world needs now: more chocolate chip cookies, fresh out of the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, and so true: " it's the small moments that can ground you."

    Now I want cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried to get Izzy involved in some baking but I think that she is just a little too young. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a perfect post. I love baking with the twins, and you're right. It's like that Raymond Chandler story: it's a small good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I am so not a cook, but I have adored baking with my girl. Simply the best!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved