Monday, June 1, 2020

#MicroblogMondays: Noise

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.


I grew up outside Minneapolis. As a teen, I spent many a weekend or summer day venturing into the city, exploring the Uptown area and Nicollet Ave. I have fond memories of walking around Lake Harriet and Lake Nokomis. 

But as much as I loved this region, one thing I knew was odd was the lack of diversity. My high school and neighborhood were primarily white, with only a handful of kids who were African American. This absence of cultural diversity led to an insularity, with the naive assumption that racism was a thing from my parents' generation. It wouldn't be until I left home and began college that I would begin to see how wrong that assumption was. And it wouldn't be until I began working with under-represented populations that I would actually hear the stories first-hand, witness that damage of racism, and learn that the work is far from over.

Over the weekend, one of Grey's coworkers found himself being profiled after he had to evacuate his home due to the violence from the protests. Grey didn't hesitate to give him the day out to recover from the trauma of that experience, but it led us to reflect on the privileges we grew up with and how the teachings of "color-blindness" and "white silence" have exacerbated the problem. Adding to this conversation is that our town is in lockdown due to the violence only a few miles from us with a curfew in place to curb that violence. All the while I'm well aware that no one would bat an eye if I was out solely because of my appearance the color of my skin.

It's hard not to be angry with all of this. I'm worried sick for the people I consider friends who could easily be hurt if they say or do something that is considered "wrong." I have nothing by violent feelings towards the man-child who was elected to lead the U.S. But the thing I'm blind with rage over is that so many are trying to use this movement for their own gain, twisting a message that very much needs to be embraced, which is that no one, no matter their age, skin color, ethnicity, or creed, should fear for their lives simply because they are walking down the street or engaging in daily activities. 

So, despite how unpopular I know I will be, it's time to begin making noise again. It's time to start embracing the message of spreading anti-racism, acknowledging privilege, and focusing on the work needed to be done. It includes holding people like Amy Cooper accountable and making sure that those who murdered George Floyd are brought to justice. And it means being okay with uncomfortable silences. Because one thing is very clear after the pandemic and this recent round of senseless murders: it's time for change.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. This is perfectly expressed - "do many are trying to use this movement for their own gain, twisting a message that very much needs to be embraced, ..."

    Like you, I grew up in a very white region (pretty much the whole of the South Island was like that) and the only indigenous POC was my schoolteacher, a position of respect and authority in our district (we only had a two-teacher school). So I didn't understand racism at all. And I first encountered it in Thailand, when I took an African American friend home to stay with my (2nd) host family. (I'd asked if I could have an American friend to stay.)

    Last year with the mosque attacks, I spoke up. I need to keep doing it. This has been a reminder of that. And I'm so sorry this is happening in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said, Cristy. Thank you! I have many relatives in & around Minneapolis, and while I know it (& Minnesota generally) is pretty "whitebread," I had NO IDEA the roots of racism were so deep there until I read a few articles over the past few days about some of the history of the black community there.

    I've been pondering what if anything I should write about in my blog on this subject. It's hard, because things weren't that much different where I grew up, a few hundred miles to the north ;) -- with the possible exception that there weren't many black people around. But there were plenty of indigenous/native peoples on the nearby reservations. I am still trying to shake off the deeply ingrained biases I grew up with, and overcome my desire to avoid confrontation. I've posted a couple of things on my social media feeds over the past few days -- pretty mild, for the most part, although I'm sure some people will find them offensive or "too much." It's NOT much, but it's a start. And I'm heartened that some of my friends & relatives have been posting a few things too. I think that watching a man's life being snuffed out for absolutely no reason, even as cameras recorded the whole thing, was just too horrific for a lot of people to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize it, but I felt this, too: "the naive assumption that racism was a thing from my parents' generation."

    I have similar feelings as you about speaking up. It's time, even if it's not perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your "noise!" I live in Rochester, NY, which is an insanely segregated area, and there is this (wrong) feeling of "well, they choose to live in the city" which for one ignores housing discrimination that was and is very real here and elsewhere, and systemic racism, and then curriculum supports that with statements like "Blacks found themselves in ghettos when they went North." Or now harmful, that people formed ghettos on purpose. I'm not shy about speaking up, but I have a lot to learn and confront. Thank you for making noise and encouraging others to do the same without twisting the message.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved