Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Their grief

The email came on the evening of Easter. With "sad news" in the subject line, we learned that one of Maddy and Teddy's teachers died on Saturday in a car accident.

On the heels of losing Scruffy, I'm at a loss for how to tell them.

So today, following a medical appointment for Grey, we sought the ocean.


As they played, I watched the waves, allowing the rhythm of water catching on the shore to calm my spirit and unjumble the thoughts and emotions from all the loss from this past week. From this past year. 

From a lifetime. 

Grief is hard on so many levels and learning how to manage it for me has been an education. Learning how to help others manage it, especially the young ones, is a different level. I have zero illusions about what this will look like or how it will play out. 

What I do know is that I will punch anyone who tries to tell me that losing this teacher isn't a great loss. Come Monday, an entire elementary school will be grieving together and encountering a loss few could have imagined. In a blink, everything has changed.

So instead I'm left preparing to confront grief. Only this time, their grief and healing are foremost on my mind.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my. That's such a big loss for this teacher's family and community, Maddie and Teddy of course included. I'm so sorry they are having to navigate this, especially during this particularly disconnected time. It's occasions like this that we need connection the most.

    I hope you all found the ocean healing in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Both for the loss itself and shattering their world a little bit more. Sending a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how awful. And how hard for you to hold their grief, especially now when so much has been taken from them. Holding you all in as you navigate this sadness together. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that's a huge loss. What a shitty time for you all to have to deal with this, on top of Scruffy's loss too. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so sorry. How awful for your kids, for you, for your community, for the teacher's family and friends... such a sudden loss. I'm sorry your kids have to learn about this so soon, on the heels of so much other loss. Sending you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man. That's devastating. Sending you all so much love. Losing a wonderful teacher...I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved