Monday, December 21, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: not a creature was stirring

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

Winter break is looming for many academic institutions in the northern hemisphere. Though there are students who still have final exams to complete, most have fled campus and are making there way by plane, train or automobile to their respective destinations. 

I'm currently sitting in one of these deserted buildings taking a break from writing and experiments to revel in the quiet. It's strange how these moments of silence, which bring to attention noises we normally fail to notice during the normal hustle and bustle, also recall memories and moments one may have not focused on for a very long time. Or remind us of how much has truly changed, even when we felt like the world was passing us by.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I find myself trying to avoid silence. I'll turn on music even when silence would be, in some ways, better (in the ways you mention).

    I suspect those are the times when I need silence the most.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in a department that while part of a university does not have academic responsibilities. Our campus has been sooo quiet the last several days! It is nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about being alone in a space usually filled with people that is very calming for me. It's one of the (only) things I used to enjoy if I ever had to go in to the office on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the sense of peace. Or at least, I'm hoping that's what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love working this time of year because even if the workload is the same, it somehow feels less stresseful without all the noise all around. Breathe in the peace. I hope you have a wonderful holiday later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post so much. Silence is highly underrated...and it must be so peaceful to sit in a place that not long ago was so hustley-bustley and soak up the quieter sounds. I hope you find peace in that silence.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved