Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Grit

About a month ago, I found myself with a few days to spend some time completing an online course about personalized learning. One of the speakers was Angela Duckworth, a psychologist who has spent her career focusing on helping children thrive inside and outside the classroom through understanding the development of grit and self-control. I spent a good two days diving into the Character Lab and thinking about how I could apply Angela's work both to my training as well as with my kids.

It's only been recent that I've been thinking about grit in regard to this pandemic.

This past week, California has begun taking steps to reopen and relax the lockdown. Parks have been opening, stores that were previously not considered essential business have been allowed limited reopening, and people have begun venturing out more. With this reopening, I've been seeing a couple of responses. The first, and one the majority seem to generally be practicing, is a measured one, with people easing back in while taking necessary precautions. But then there's the second response, with people not abiding by social distancing recommendations and lashing out at anyone who reminds them of these recommendations. Again, this seems to be a minority, but it exists none the less. And often those who are taking the second route are those who fall into the population that is most at risk to develop COVID-19.

Which brings me to grit. One thing that this pandemic has revealed for so many are ill-prepared for handling life-altering events. For many in the ALI community, we see this directly as others around us either minimize our pain or throw platitudes about "never giving up" while we grapple with having our lives turned upside down. For Grey and me, this pandemic has been hard, but we've approached it with the attitude that we've weathered similarly shitty things. A sentiment I've been seeing from others in this community. Yet for many, this pandemic has been the singularly most traumatic thing they've ever had to face, resulting in mental meltdowns due to a lack of tools and resources those with foundations in grit have developed long ago. There's lashing out and threats of violence from those who see regaining some level of control by refusing to follow social distancing guidelines. Additionally, there's so much out there about depression and grieving, with many struggling to grasp this new normal.

Mali had a recent post that I think gets to the heart of why we are lacking in grit when dealing with trauma. With her focus on admitting in regards to resolving infertility without parenting, the points she talks about are ones that so many could benefit from doing some self-reflection with. Because I think a lot of what is exacerbating the trauma so many people are experiencing is an inability to admit how exactly this pandemic has turned their lives upside down. It's put a spotlight on how unhappy so many are and how little control they truly have in many aspects of their lives. This denial has stifled their development of grit. And it's insanely scary to face that.

The good news is that it's not too late to develop this grit toolkit. Over the past 2 months, I've seen so many articles about processing trauma and grief as well as practicing mindfulness, and Dr. Duckworth's work has been popping into my feeds more and more, meaning this is something people are embracing outside the education world. There's a lot of good that is coming out of all of this. The question I now have is how to grow that grit, helping those around me as well as myself develop this toolkit that aids in weathering trauma.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, to grit! We've had a focus on character education in my school, and grit comes up a LOT. Grit and resilience. You're so right that this is the worst thing for many people, and it's bad, but I guess it's good to have some experience in shit now working out like you'd hoped. I find though that all this uncertainty is totally triggering me back to the feelings of uncertainty for the whole time we tried to build our family, and it adds a layer of anxiety and grief to everything. Some days I'm really great at handling it, and some days I return to my facedown on the floor pose that alarms Bryce. But, I'd say it's usually more of the former...it's just when it comes to the latter it seems to be a deep dive. But then I surface.
    It's so interesting to see all the protesters and people who refuse to follow the rules. It's like the people who scoff at us wearing masks when we see people coming to pass us when we walk, and I just want to shout "YOU'RE WELCOME FOR ME PROTECTING YOU, JERK, BECAUSE THIS MASK AIN'T FOR ME!" It's such self-centeredness. I'm glad you're delving into grit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to you and Jess: yes to grit. And thanks for some great links here (checking them out in many tabs). It's true that enduring something like IF has helped us flex that grit muscle. Are we gritty enough yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've come a bit late to this, but I love it. I like the word "grit" too. Yes, I admit (ha!) that I have felt like saying "suck it up" to some of the people who are complaining. I have real sympathy for those who are genuinely suffering through this, but not for those who just don't want to be told what to do.

    I'm laughing too at LoriLL's comment - I'm hoping we're all gritty enough right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen Duckworth's book! Will have to check it out, now that you've recommended her work.

    I've seen more than a few memes & comments on social media suggesting this is the first time many people have been told "no," which is why we're witnessing a collective temper tantrum over the COVID-related closures & restrictions. Also the suggestion that some people just can't stand to be alone with their thoughts and forced to stay at home & entertain themselves. Sigh. "Suck it up," indeed.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved