Monday, November 12, 2018

#MicroblogMonday: Before the interview

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.


Interviews are a double-edged sword. Though I'm terribly excited about this position and am honored to be invited for a formal interview, I am also dreading the talk I'm giving and being on the spot. My brain wants to be in a million other places instead of sitting in front of my computer, rehearsing my presentation and reviewing the published literature from the different members of the group (all of which is extremely interesting, btw). 

Sensing this, Grey took it upon himself to take a day out of work to watch Maddy and Teddy and kicked me out of the apartment so I could focus. There's something enduring and loving about someone who knows all your bad habits and puts mechanisms into place to prevent you from self-destructing.

The problem I now face is I've found myself at a coffee shop where other procrastinators have also set up shop. Glancing to my right is a woman alternating between her phone and cat-napping, all while the LSAT practice test is visible on her laptop screen. Directly across from me is a man who has appears to primarily be engaged with writing something involving, but has a secondary project with flirting with anyone who's attention he has caught. Never mind the usual coffee shop patrons that are there for social purposes. 

Oddly enough, all of this is helping me focus while distracting me from the underlying jitters I've been feeling all morning.

Still, Grey would likely be smacking if he saw where I was currently planted.

I'm preparing as best I can, getting myself back into a mindset I haven't been in for a few months. Earbuds in with me using the background chatter as an excuse to practice in a hushed tone and focusing on transitions and cues as well as questions I have for the different members of the team.

Because no matter the outcome, I want to nail this. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. Wishing you lots and lots of luck!! Fingers and toes crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Grey is a good egg! Wishing you so, so much luck. All my crossables are crossed... You're going to rock it! And cool that the literature is interesting. If you need an interview anthem, a friend used to play Eye of the Tiger every time either one of us went in for an interview, as a pump-up, I-can-do-this pregame. At the very least, it makes you feel invincible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I hope you got your preparation done. You sound a lot like me - I can be a first class procrastinator when I put my mind to it. lol Maybe a library would have been a better choice? Though with no caffeine, that has its downsides too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots and lots of luck! Will keep my fingers crossed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envision you nailing it. They will be SO lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Job talks. . . *shudder*! You will rock it. Thinking good thoughts in your direction, and good for you for taking all the prep time. Hopefully it will help you feel better going in. Good luck and I hope they see how awesome you are!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved