Tuesday, November 6, 2018

VOTE!

The morning drop for school started out as usual. Maddy and Teddy made their way to their respective classrooms and were getting settled in when someone asked me what I was doing this morning. As I helped them hang up their coats, I mentioned that I needed to drop off Grey's and my ballots at one of the local dropboxes so they could be counted.

When the other person asked, "Why?" I found myself utterly dumbfounded that they didn't know today was election day. When I probed further, the response of "well, voting doesn't matter" launched me into a tirade that made every adult in the room become incredibly quiet.

Thing is, I don't care that I made them uncomfortable. Given our world today, with so many of in that room actively facing the negative consequences of this current administration, I was floored this attitude even existed.

One thing I really cannot forgive is that anyone with the right to vote not exercising it solely because it is inconvenient. Yes, some groups are being blocked for exercising this right and this needs to be stopped. Yes, voter registration is not readily accessible in some areas and that needs to be fixed. And yes, access to polling stations is not always convenient or easy, which also needs to be rectified. But simply not voting because you don't think it matters? Yeah, that attitude needs adjustment.

We live in a deeply divided country where the rights of a few are being pushed over the needs of so many. I get that everyone has opinions and viewpoints, with some being wildly different from mine, but given that the right to vote is a privilege we have in this country that many around the world do not have isn't something that should be taken lightly. In addition, voting is how you put those opinions and beliefs you hold so dear into action.


In short, VOTE. Instead of lecturing me about your ideals and beliefs, polluting the world with more hot air, get yourself to your local polling place and cast your ballot.

Because every vote does count.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get home from work until almost 11 last night, yet my (unshowered, braless, pre-caffeinated) ass was in line when my polling place opened at 7 am. The importance of voting was instilled in me from an early age, and I can't recall many elections that I haven't voted in (general, special, or primary) in my life. Heck, at my last polling place, I had a bit of a reputation after citing the PA Supreme Court ruling nullifying photo ID being required to vote and insisting on waiting while they called the board of elections to verify (the threat to contact all local media to report on their attempts to suppress my vote served as motivation to do so expeditiously as well).

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved