Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Puzzles

Today is day 3 of a four-day interview cycle for three separate positions. One interview on Monday has resulted in me proceeding to the next step, with a writing assignment that needs to be completed and today I've finished meeting with everyone on the team for a position I did an on-site interview for. Tomorrow is a full day for a different on-site interview.

All the while, I've been reading up on technology, prepping my presentation and learning about all the different people I will be talking with.

To say I'm exhausted is an understatement.

This morning, following school drop off, I was reflecting on all of these interviews combined with me thinking about other daily matters (like dealing with dual car registration). And though I hate the initial drama that gets dropped in my lap, what I'm finding I enjoy (and am told I'm good at) is finding solutions, fitting together different pieces of a puzzle to make a final product.

Though stressful, the unexpected bill yesterday was something I was quickly able to resolve. During my conversations over the last three days, I had a lot of examples of how I have addressed various situations, working with others to find a solution and meet goals. And as I've been preparing for tomorrow, I've been looking at my past work in a new light, seeing where pieces fit that previously were orphaned and making a case for the next steps.

Working on my talk today, I composed a couple of sentences talking about the benefits of non-linear training and career paths; how uncertainty and even failure have helped shape who I am today. But another element has been taking components and pieces of my training and life experience, seeing the diverse edges and finding ways for fitting it all together. In some ways, I'm feeling like I'm just beginning to see the outcome of this puzzle but in others, I'm becoming more aware that the final product of this process isn't what matters, but the process itself. 

I have one more day of interviews scheduled and tomorrow is the day I've been preparing for over the last two weeks, working on putting together pieces to make a case for why I am the candidate they want for the position.

We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I believe the same. I think we get better product when we have a better process. And we have a sound process when we are open, non-linear, and creative.

    I have a feeling you're going to knock some socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did like jigsaw puzzles. ;) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved