Friday, December 9, 2011

Fog

One of my favorite things is to walk through the woods when they are covered with fog.  There's a quiet that sets in due to the land-cloud muffling any noise and a sense of mystery.  You never know what's around the corner.  The problem with fog is that it can be disorienting, masking potential dangers.  If it gets too thick, there is a very real danger of becoming lost.

The past few days, my head has been in the clouds.  I've been finding it hard to concentrate on the simplest tasks and have become incredibly forgetful.  It's gotten so bad that yesterday I had to stay home from work, concerned that driving would be disastrous.  The problem with being so foggy mentally is that I don't know what's good news from bad news, what's up from down.
 
Today was monitoring appointment #2.  Dr. Practical has been in charge of watching my follicles grow, upping my dosage of Gonal-F.  Today she had a resident and senior medical student in tow.  When they entered the room, all I could think of was "don't say anything dumb."  Nodding and smiling was something I can do without having to seem mentally together.  As I lay naked from the waist down on the table, allowing them to visualize the progress of the medication and ask questions/make observations, I found my thoughts drifting to the Muppets song 'Mahna mahna."  It wasn't until about 2 minutes in to playing this over and over in my head that I realized that the room was awfully quiet.  When I opened my eyes, I found Grey giving me the most amused, bewildered look.  I looked over at the three medical professionals who were starring silently at me and it was then it dawned on me that I had been humming.

Good news of the whole visit: I have 19 follicles, with the leading follicles being around 12 mm.  They want to see me Sunday morning for another visit, but I'm hoping that we're getting close.  Bad news: I'm now one of "those" patients; the ones that become immortalized for abnormal behavior.  So I have two options: fret about it, or run with it.  I'm all for the latter, but I don't know if I can come up with something as equally entertaining by the next visit.

Dear Gonal-F, I want my brain back

4 comments:

  1. Well, I suppose if you are going to have a side effect, singing a Muppets song is a pretty good one. :)

    Mananana! Doo doo, do do do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news that the follicles are growing so well! I started laughing when I read about your humming though!! I think I would run with it too, it will be very entertaining and we could all use some more humor in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum away girl! If that's what it takes to get through this process - who the hell cares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for 19! Keep humming, I love that song. I'll be thinking of you when I'm in those stirrups again.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved